Podcasting is a great way to get your message out about your passion about a product or service. The podcast has a potential of reaching a large audience without you leaving the comforts of your home.
What Type of Show Should You Produce?
When deciding on the type of show to produce, you may want to ask yourself these questions;
- What topics are of interest to me?
- What are my passions?
- Is there a topic that I can speak about as an expert?
- Are there any subjects that people ask me about?
- Are there any hobbies that I like to do for fun?
One of the most important things, is you must be able to have fun with the topic you choose.
How Long Should My Podcast Be?
You first have to decide how much time you have to commit to produce the show. This includes the time it takes to research your topic, preparing show notes, recording of the show, editing the show to for loading to the internet. Bandwidth should also be taken into consideration on the content you publish as your listener is going to have to download the show from the internet. Typically I would recommend a show length be no more than 45 minutes long, while some of the most popular podcasts can only be 10 minutes long. The more specify the topic the shorter the podcast can be.
How Often Should I Produce a Show?
Most people start our very ambitious by setting out to produce a podcast every week and then come to find out that they can’t keep up with this schedule. Remember it is better to produce a quality show that it is to produce a bunch of mediocre shows. In the beginning I would recommend asking yourself these questions in order to determine how many podcasts you should produce. As you start to get an audience, they will be able to give you their feedback on the show to help you determine the direction you can go. So remember to ask for feedback during every show.
- How many shows are being created with the same subject matter?
- Is there enough material to support the creation of the number of Podcasts you want to produce?
- Can I create the content without impacting my family and my job?
- How many shows will people be willing to listen to (be honest with yourself)?
Podcasts are a very popular method of getting your message out and communicating with people of similar interests and creating a loyal following of listeners. This is a very useful marketing tool in helping grow a business with fresh new content and creating podcast profits.