How well do you know your customer? You’re trying to sell to him or her, would make make sense to know as much as you can about them so that you can attract them and turn them into return customers. Knowing them is the best place to start and can help you every step of the way.
We talk a lot about tools and ways to get the information, there is also quite a bit of research conducted by social psychologists that can help you understand customers. Help Scout, a provider of customer support tools put together an infographic with some great facts about customers and what is important to them.
– Customers love personalization. Make their experience personal. If customers feel like you are going out of your way to provide service that is special for them, they will remember it. How many times have people commented on Amazon’s shipping speed and upgrades? People love it and feel like it’s just for them. Same with Zappos.
– Use their name. Use their name in emails, do whatever you can. It makes them feel good and like you which improves the chance they will do whatever it is you are trying to get accomplished.
– Customers love surprises. Whether you are packing something extra in a box or sending information via email, throw in a surprise bonus.
– Customers love stories, so sell with stories. They will relate better and remember your business.
– Focus on time more than money. If you can save a customer time and tell them you are doing it, it is more powerful than money.
While these seem like common sense points about customers, most marketers either don’t know this information or forget to apply it. Check out the infographic below for more ideas.