Mobile advertising and data platform Millennial Media released their Q1 2012 Mobile Mix Report today where they show a lot of interesting data. Non-phone mobile devices such as tablets accounted for 20% of mobile marketing impressions during the first quarter of 2012, compared to 15% in first quarter of 2011. The independent mobile platform provider measured impressions across its own platform, garnering data about the top 20 mobile phones, top 10 device manufactures, leading mobile device operating systems and top mobile app categories ranked by impressions.
One item I found particularly interesting was that 73% of their impressions in quarter one were from smartphones. This is up from 62% from last year. Feature phones (remember the old Motorola Razor) dropped to 7% down from 23% in 2011.
The Android remained the top overall operating system on the Millennial Media platform in Q1 2012, with a 49% share of impressions, and Apple remained the leading individual mobile device manufacturer, with 28.32% of mobile devices. Samsung was second with 18.25% of devices, and HTC third with 11.30%.
Some notable highlights from their report:
- Apple remained the leading manufacturer on our platform and the iPhone was the leading individual phone.
- Android was the leading OS on our platform with 49 percent of the total impressions (and 14 of the top 20 phones).
- Samsung was the second leading manufacturer, and had 4 of the top 20 mobile phones on our platform.
- “Non-Phone Connected Devices” (tablets, MP3 players, e-readers, etc.) increased 33 percent quarter-over-quarter and made up 20 percent of all impressions on our platform.
- Gaming was the top app category on our platform and grew 10 percent quarter-over-quarter.
- Mobile video views increased 958 percent year-over-year.
There is a lot of interesting data in their report that can help you plan, scale, and develop your mobile marketing campaigns. Click Here to download the full report.
Just yesterday, I showed on the iMobiTrax blog how we’re making major develops with our custom mobile tracking software. If you didn’t get a chance to take a demo inside our software you can do so at this link.