If you have been in this business for any considerable amount of time, you have probably experienced high’s n low’s. You probably have also experienced, (if you are a sole-entrepreneur) that when it really comes down to it, you have nobody to rely on but yourself. For marketers just starting out and coming online to make heads n tails of this “make money online” stuff, it can be a pretty overwhelming feeling and you can get lonely really quick. Sure, you might have a family when you start out, (I did) but that’s not the same when you are logged in online and trying to make your business a success. Isolation can be daunting but it’s just something you have to deal with before getting experienced enough to know how much you can actually contact and socialize with others online and by attending groups, events and tradeshows.
When you are working for yourself, it can be really easy to fall into a habit of making excuses:
- I can wake up whenever I want
- I can do that later
- I have this many days until this bill is due
For me, excuses are unnacceptable and anyone that knows me, especially those who have worked with me, that if you bring an excuse to the table, somebody better be on their deathbed otherwise, you suffer the wrath. I’ve been here long enough, I’ve made enough money, I’ve lost enough money, I’ve been screwed over enough to understand that there is NO excuse in this business to not taking action.
Sometimes your flush and sometimes your bust, and when you’re up it’s never as good as it seems, and when you’re down, you never think you’re going to be up again.
This rings so true in being an Entrepreneur. I’ve seen countless affiliates, advertisers and even full-blown affiliate networks and ad agencies fall in the blink of an eye. Why is that? I can tell you aside from poor management, it’s because of laziness. There is always going to be an excuse but the very fact you go out of business online is not because traffic sources go down, restrictions get applied, affiliates and advertisers stop working with you. No, it’s because when you’re up, you get lazy and make excuses to keep building the way you were in the beginning. My friends, this the biggest mistake you can make online.
I’ve seen 6 figure a month marketers get wiped out overnight. I’ve gotten text messages and even phone calls because copycat affiliates get outbid or completely wiped out from their traffic source. The bad part is, all these years I keep repeating the same thing – Build, Build Build. You will always have to:
Adapt -> Develop -> Progress. ADP baby!
Let me tell you a few excuses but retort with a witty, but truthful comeback to each one:
- Excuse: I’m too tired to do it now
- Reply: I peeled off 92 lbs last year because I was a lazy fatass. I work 16+ hours a day now across 3 companies and still manged at least 2 hours of weights an cardio 6 days a week along with 3 children.
- Excuse: I’m banking so hard right now, I’ll just refresh my stats to keep an eye on things.
- Reply: If you are banking that hard, you should have an ad manager at your traffic source and an affiliate manager with the network you are running with dipshit. Why do you need to refresh your stats when the cash-cows have your number to alert you if the $$$’s stop flowin?
- Excuse: I have no money to start with paid advertising
- Reply: Get another job. I had 3 for two years while I was working online and when after work I would write articles for companies, giving me $1500-$2000 a month to spend towards advertising.
I mean seriously, I’ve seen so many excuses now that a lot of people don’t even attempt to bother me because they know I have a reputation for A. Not really giving a shit what the excuse is and B. No matter if I accepted the excuse anyway and did help you, you probably don’t have the motivation will-power and balls to see it through anyway.
So what’s the point?
Sounds cliche I know but allowing just one excuse into your life can plant seeds to making it easier to make even more excuses. It’s not easy, it’s no joy-ride. Everything in life is tough, it’s always going to be until YOU make it easier. Sure you might get some help along the way but in the end, it’s all up to you as to how well you succeed or how bad you fail.
So I’m curious, what did you get done today? If nothing productive, what’s your excuse?