Email marketing is still a huge part of online commerce. The technology continues to evolve and autoresponder services like Aweber and iContact allow almost anyone to take part. While it may be easy to start, if not done correctly, email marketing doesn’t work. Below is a list of mistakes people make when emailing. Avoid these mistakes and you will be well on your way to success.
1. Bad Subject Lines – The subject line is the first thing people will see, other than the sender, and it is usually what determines if the email is opened or discarded. Bad Subject lines can ruin open rates.
2. Not Knowing Your Audience – Sounds simple right? Believe me, there are a lot of email campaigns sent that do not have messages relevant to the audience. Know your audience and why they signed up, then send them relevant messages. Sometimes marketers do not segment their lists and have a wide range of interests and demographics in one list. Segmentation is important once you know your audience.
3. No Testing – Marketers who do not test are missing out on information that can help them improve dramatically. A/B testing of emails is pretty easy. It’s also necessary to test all links in the emails, and it’s a good idea to test content as well.
4. Too Much Information – Less is more. Easily digestible bullet points and scan-able short paragraphs are very important. People will not read long messages. With 27%+ of emails being opened on mobile devices and growing, it’s getting even more important to keep it simple.
5. Tell Them What To Do – Don’t assume readers will know what you want them to do, tell them. Clear concise calls to action are important.
6. Design Issues – Make sure your emails are optimized for all devices and include a text version if you are using html so that people can read it regardless if html is activated.
7. Measure & Test – Look at your metrics, open rates, click thru’s, etc. Optimize messages based on what works for your audience. Testing with a captive audience and figuring out how often to mail, time of day, day of week and so forth is not that difficult, it just takes some time and effort.