Over the last 5 years and owning two CPA Networks, I’ve had the opportunity to speak at many conferences, work with and meet an absolute ton of people in this Industry.
But I have to say something and not it’s not a biased opinion because….
1. I don’t employ affiliate managers (more on that in a minute)
2. I’m the only one with enough balls to publicly say this
Some of the companies in the CPA Performance Marketing Industry baffle the shit out of me with the lack of business knowledge and IQ. I mean really, since the CPA Rebills explosion of 08, the average IQ of the people starting up affiliate networks is somewhere in between:
“I don’t know what I’m doing” and “I’m totally fucking stupid”
Here’s the way to look at it. The right way to look at it. If you’re looking at Affiliate Managers at CPA Networks ANY other way, you might want to look in the mirror and make sure you didn’t get some “dumbass” on your face while you slept.
Dealing with Dumbass Affiliate Managers 101.
1. Ask the manager THEIR own affiliate experience. Should you choose to work with an affiliate network who provides you an affiliate manager with no affiliate marketing experience then you deserved to get fuck over eventually for being so fucking stupid in the first place.
And no for all the morons who don’t know the difference – Being an affiliate manager doesn’t qualify you as having affiliate experience.
2. Find Out Who Owns The Affiliate Network – Why would you ever do business with someone responsible for paying you money for a service you provide and not even know who owns the network? This reminds me of the good ole rat race does of Corporate environments. You wouldn’t believe how many Network owners have never even been an affiliate.
Let’s break down all the stupid people involved in the scenario above.
1. The network owners – They are stupid because they simply live by the model “if we build they will come.” They sure do. Then they come to us when they can’t get any help and when they do get a response it’s by some dipshit intern you hired based on looks instead of brains. While Corporate management might be something they are used too, why don’t you take a good look around the CPA Network space and see who got slaughtered over the last couple of years.
2. The Affiliate Managers – Yes, if you’re an affiliate manager at one of these companies, don’t worry – You also fucking stupid too! If you work for one of these types of companies and the owners have very little information about them online, little social presence or Industry reputation, congratulations – you’re stupid. Now I understand the idea of “working remotely” has brought on a plethora of socially awkward creeps and freaks and these CPA Networks are employing these weirdos without any real knowledge other than the fact this person helps them online. Creepy.
For you affiliates out there, are you starting to see the real picture here?
Stupid within any organization doesn’t just “happen” – It starts at the top and we all know shit rolls down hill.
Work with someone who’s going to scale and increase your business, not someone looking to make an easy buck off your hard work.