Building an email list and using it in your marketing is one of the best things you can do for your online business. It can provide more a consistent income and increase earnings. There are a lot of moving parts and lists don’t grow by accident but with a little work and focus, it’s not that difficult. One of the biggest challenges is building the list. There are many great ways to do that and listed below are some great tips that can help you build your list.
1. Start with relevant information and add value to the potential subscriber. If you build a list without adding value in some way, your list will likely be less inclined to open your messages or take desired action. Value can be provided in many ways, maybe you will offer the reader something they really want or need or maybe it’s the information you are providing that will keep the reader interested in what you want to tell them or sell them. Regardless, add value in some way as a starting point.
2. Place easy to find and visually appealing opt-in forms on your website or blog. Yeah I know, pretty obvious, but not everyone does it. If you are trying to proactively get opt-ins, give it to them early and often. Regardless of what you think, entry and exit pops work. And, just because you don’t like them, doesn’t mean your readers won’t. If you are providing real value, why should you not pop them? In fact, I could argue that you are doing your readers a disservice by not trying really hard to get them on your list.
3. Customize landing pages for different social traffic. For example, if you are spreading your message through social platforms such as Twitter, develop a page just for those people who would be coming from Twitter and use that link in your bio and in messages in a “get more info” kinda way. Welcome those people so that they know you know where they came from.
4. Be an evangelist in social media. Share your company’s value across social channels like Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, etc. and provide value. People will be inclined to look for more information if they are interested and these are excellent additions to your list. It’s also a good idea to start groups or host chats as a way to be recognized as an expert in the field and increase interest and opt-ins.
5. Make your emails easy to share with readers social networks. Many email service providers offer easy ways to add sharing functionality to messages. If you are sending good information or great deals, every reader is a potential salesperson for your message, which can lead to more sales and people signing up to your list.
6. Don’t forget about forums, niche social networks, visual networks like Pinterest and Instagram and Youtube, Slideshare and Vimeo. Sometimes going outside of the normal every day places people think to promote can bring in a lot of valuable traffic and opt-ins. People search these places daily to find answers to problems, motivation, entertainment, etc. Position your business to capitalize. Provide value there and a way to find your opt-in pages and you will build your list.
7. Spread your message by guest blogging on other sites. Again, we are coming back to providing real value. If you find a site or blog that is looking for guest posts, ask if you can take part. Always give first and remember, the more you give the more you get.
8. Ask for opt-ins from people after every event, post, article, webinar, whatever. You might have heard the term “Always Be Selling”, well “Always Be Asking” should be your new motto. Ask for the opt-in.
9. Include your email address or one that people can get more information from in signature lines, on landing pages, in print ads, etc. You would be surprised at the number of subscribers you can get from an advertisement if you put an email address in the text for more information instead of a URL or phone number. Just keep in mind here that either you or the person sending the email needs to decide if they get added to a list or not. I’m not going to tell you how to handle that one.
10. Promote in places people will notice and can opt-in offline. With the number of smartphones in the market, QR codes and email addresses can be used in places that people have time and are inclined to check out what you have to offer. Tradeshow floors, waiting lines, on buses/trains, in toilet stalls (yeah I said it), all over the place. People are on their phones constantly, make it easy for them to get on your list with their phone.
11. Contests are also a great way to build a list, but again, if someone enters an email to get in a contest, you need to make sure they want further messages from you for other reasons. A great way to do that is to offer them extreme value to get on your list after they signed up for the contest.
Ultimately, if you will take the time to provide value and ask for the opt-in, your efforts will be rewarded and if you continue to build a relationship with your list, it will become one of the most valuable parts of your business. For more information or more detailed discussion about building lists, check out the IMGrind Private Forum.